Aston PA – About Us
Aston PA was first settled in 1682 as a municipality and was incorporated as a township in 1688. In 1906 it became a first class township. Prior to 1687, Aston was known as Northley. Edward Carter, who was the constable of the township, changed the name from Northley to Aston in remembrance of his old home in Oxfordshire, England.
Today, Aston covers approximately seven square miles, with a population of about 15,000. The population of Aston in 1870, according to the census of that year, was 1,845, of which 1,536 were native born and 309 foreign.
The History Of Aston PA
On July 30, 1842, an act of legislature was passed annexing to Thornbury Township, all that part of Aston PA lying north of a line beginning immediately south of Stoney Bank Churchyard and extending east and west from Chester Creek to Concord Township.
Along Chester Creek there were many mills in the early part of the 19th century. Among them were: Peters Grist and Saw Mill on the west branch of Chester Creek near the Concord Township line, Tyson’s Mill, also known as Llewelyn Mills or Rhodes Mill at Aston Mills, the Old Forge at Rockdale, which today is the Kings Mill Caterer, Thatcher’s Tilt Mill, near WaWa station, the Lenni Mills on Lenni Road, later became Aldon Rug Mill, Crozerville Mills at the foot of Hollow Hill, this mill later was known as Yorkshire Worsted Mill, and today is Container Research, West Branch Mills, which was later operated by Victoria Plush Mill and then Aldon Rug Mill, Today it is the Rockdale Industrial Center. Farther down the Chester Creek to Bridgewater was the Pennellton Mill, which later was American Rendering Plant, now Giant Concrete. Over the years these mills produced cotton, wool, paper, with grist mills grinding wheat and corn grown in the area. These mills operated as long as they had water supply for power. Low water and winter freezes caused operations to cease.
The flood of the century, which occurred in Aston PA on August 5, 1843, did considerable damage to the mills, destroying some along Chester Creek as well as the dams and races which they depended on for power. Among those killed by the flood waters was John Rhodes, an aged man, along with his daughters, Hannah and Jane, and his granddaughter, MaryAnn Collingsworth, who were swept away along with their house.
The first licensed house in Aston PA was the Seven Stars Hotel, located at Pennell and Concord roads. The hotel was built about 1738. In 1740, Thomas Vernon presented a petition to the court for a license for a house of entertainment, alleging that there was no tavern for twelve to fourteen miles from where his house was located. The petition was denied by the court. However, in 1762, James Johnson was licensed to keep a public house at Village Green. The location is believed to be the Seven Stars Hotel. The Seven Stars Hotel became a stage coach stop and a stop for watering horses, as well as changing horses. On September 2, 1831, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows was chartered at the Seven Stars Hotel. The hotel was the only voting place in Aston PA for several years, and also played a prominent part in one of the famous murders in the nation, which eventually involved many well known people in Delaware County.
|About Aston||Township Times Newsletter|