Aston Presbyterian Church Recognized on 150th Anniversary
Aston Commissioners, during the May 18 meeting, presented a proclamation to members of the Aston Presbyterian Church in recognition of the church’s 150th anniversary.
The rich history of the church dates back to the vision of Thomas Reaney, owner of a Shipyard in the city of Chester, who had a vision for the establishment of a Sabbath School for the children of his workers.
Reaney and his sons purchased property, erected a church and presented it to the Third Presbytery of Philadelphia.
On February 21, 1866 a meeting was held to form a congregation and proclaimed the new church “Chester City Presbyterian Church” or the “Second Presbyterian Church.”
For nearly 90 years the church was located in Chester, but a tragic fire destroyed the building in 1956 and the congregation moved the church to what was then part of Chester Township.
Not long thereafter the Bridgewater Farms development, which surrounds the property, petitioned the court for annexation to Aston Township and when that petition was approved, the church property became part of Aston with the dividing line being the bridge on Concord Road over Baldwin’s Run.
The church community grew and soon became known as “Aston Presbyterian Church.”
Aston Presbyterian Church has provided a christian day care/learning center since 1978. The church was renovated in the early 2000’s, the highlight being the installation of the Good Shepherd stained glass window in 2002. The window was a gift of the Robert Sampson family from their home church in Kansas.
And in 2005 the Salisbury Labyrinth was constructed on the Concord Road side of the church, which is used as a walking trail for meditation by people of all faiths. The Presbyterian Women’s group provides generous donations of baby clothing to new mothers and collects hats and mittens to children in need.
The Elders ad deacons provide guidance and spirtual direction to the congregation and the Aston community.
The church members present were congratulated by all of the commissioners who expressed appreciation for the good works of the congregation.