Aston Township is seeking qualified applicants for a full time Building Inspector position. Employment benefits include a competitive salary based on experience and an extensive benefits package including health insurance and a retirement plan.
Responsibilities: The position of Building Inspector is a specialized position responsible for conducting building plan reviews, issuing building permits, conducting inspections in construction environments, issuing certificates of occupancy and communicating effectively to property owners, contractors and design professionals both verbally and in writing.
Experience and Certifications Required: Minimally, applicants must be detail oriented, have at least five years experience as a building inspector, have working knowledge of Microsoft Office, possess a valid driver’s license and currently hold the following International Code Council certifications:
- Commercial/Residential Plan Review
- Commercial/Residential Building Inspector
- Property Maintenance
- Building Inspectors work closely with the public; therefore a positive, helpful and friendly demeanor is required.
Employment benefits include a competitive salary based on experience and an extensive benefits package including health insurance and a retirement plan.
The successful applicant must submit to drug screening and a criminal background investigation. Send resumes and cover letters outlining education, work experience, salary history and professional references via email to email@example.com
Department: Building/Code Enforcement
Position: Building Inspector
This position is responsible for enforcing the Pennsylvania Uniform Construction Codes (PA. U.C.C.) and Township Amendments and Ordinances, ensuring their correct application in the field and reviewing construction documents and permit applications for compliance.
Supervision Exercised: None
Supervision Required: Work Under Direction of Building Code Official
Essential Job Functions:
- Communicate Township ordinances and code provisions to contractors, homeowners, architects and the general public.
- Perform building, or demolishment of commercial, industrial and residential buildings.
- Perform administrative tasks related to inspections, maintaining accurate records, preparing reports as needed and administering violation and stop-work notices for work being performed without a permit, computer data entry, and representing the Township in Municipal Court.
- Provide prompt, courteous, polite, and professional service and communication to the customers.
- Communicate with the public, residents and contractors regarding issues of code compliance, including providing information and explanation of statements of noncompliance.
- The ability to work independently, communicate effectively and maintain professional working relationships with clients and co-workers is essential.
- Individual must be detail oriented, may be required to work immediately before, during or immediately after an emergency or disaster.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of commercial/industrial and residential construction, federal and state building codes.
- Perform routine duties such as typing, filing, and record keeping, operating a personal computer utilizing a variety of business software including but not limited to word processing, work order databases and electronic file management.
Job Location: Aston Township
Equipment: Vehicle, computer, copy machine, fax machine, adding machine, and scanner.
Minimum Education, Training, and/or Experience Required:
- A high school diploma
- A minimum of ten (10) years experience in the commercial/residential construction industry and/or a minimum of five (5) years in a supervisory position in the construction field.
- Minimum International Code Council (ICC) Inspector Certifications in Residential/ Commercial Building and Commercial Plans Examiner/Property Maintenance.
- Possession of a valid Pennsylvania drivers’ license.
- Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Must have sufficient personal mobility and physical reflexes, which permits the employee to drive to various locations and move around construction sites for inspection purposes, including climbing ladders and scaffolding, walking on roofs, maneuvering over walls, crawling under floors, and safely able to lift and carrying objects up to 50 pounds, etc.